Monday, May 11, 2009

What makes a Hyena?

A hyena is a cloth diaper nut. It takes more than just loving cloth diapers, though. A hyena has knowledge; a hyena is a hunter. It can begin simply - merely noting how cute they have become, or marveling that pins and rubber pants are by-gone. There is a moment though; there is a threshold to cross, when a mother transitions from cloth diaper user to stealthy beast. For me, it was a simple Happy Heiny's baseball print. From there, I went to all sorts of prints, fitteds, AIOs, sewing my own and knitting my own covers. I bought diapers that I swore I never would; I fell in love with bits of fabric. Still, it's not quite hyena time then. When I did cross over? What was the deciding factor? I'd never planned on buying any diapers at all. We practiced elimination communication from birth with both kids. I could have been diaper with my second son from the early weeks. With my TCS son, he could have been diaper free until the detethering surgery, and again a few weeks after we'd finished catheterizing. How does a mom know she's gone too far? When she doesn't even need the diapers to begin with, when the diapers are just too cute to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers