Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Smarter Alternative to Pediasure

For us, Pediasure was a disaster. The resulting bowel management was too much for a toddler to handle. Instead, with a few changes, we have been able to offer the same caloric, liquid nutrition without the negatives. Of course, I'd rather he be able to digest a whole foods diet, but then I'd also rather he not have TCS. This is where we are.

Our Organic "PediaSmart"

8 ounces water
½ c. Baby's Only Formula
1 tsp vanila flavoring (optional)
1 tbs honey
1 tbs whey
1 capsule of digestive enzymes, opened

Add all of the ingredients to the water and mix well.

This is about double the ratio of formula to water on the can. Yes, that means it's about twice as expensive as feeding a child "formula." This is not a formula recipe; this is absolutely, positively not for infants under one year. Never, never feed honey to an infant under one year. We do not bottle feed this product, since my child is well past bottle feeding age (not that he had them, even when tiny.) Also, again: this recipe is a substitute for nutritional products for older children with physical disabilities. I would never recommend this for healthy, normal babies or toddlers. This recipe is for children who would otherwise have severe medical issues with prescription nutritional products. This recipe allows my son to have normal stools instead of "bowel management." It would likely result in digestive upset for a healthy child.

Pediasmart is not available to us locally. Otherwise, I might add the whey and enzymes directly to a bottle of Pediasmart if I could purchase it conveniently. The enzymes are available at my local health food store. I make my own live culture liquid whey with my yogurt maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers