Monday, May 18, 2009

Cranial-Sacral Therapy

"So, what kinds of therapy is he getting?" my son's therapist asked during this morning's treatment.

"This."

My son doesn't need physical therapy; his muscles are strong. He doesn't need occupational therapy; his playgroup is better than that would have been for him. He does benefit from CST, or cranial-sacral therapy. It's "alternative" - sigh - according to his developmental team, but it's the only therapy that he needs. It's the only therapy that makes a difference in his life. I don't care what the criticism is. I've had it myself, as a very gentle relaxing massage. Fortunately, I don't have anything like his physical challenges. I simply took up my massage therapist's offer for something different years ago, and enjoyed it. I'm so happy that I knew about this gentle massage for now, when I have a child who needs it.

I'm grieved that because it's not considered conventional that the developmental team doesn't recommend it to other tethered cord syndrome patients. While my son's therapist has other tethered cord patients, it's only because they found her on their own, like me. It's not like there are too many options out there for people with sacral scoliosis. For the most part, it's a shrug of the shoulders, and an acceptance of pain.

Call me a victim of quackery. Call me a wacky, desperate mom. Go ahead. I can take it. I'll still do what I believe is relieving my son's pain, and helping him thrive. If I could feel the pain for him, I'd do that, too. For now, we'll be thankful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers